Monday 30 April 2018

Saddleworth Weekend - Day 2

Distance: 13 miles
Ascent: 600m
Weather: bright start, cold wind
Sparrowhawk

After a leisurely breakfast, taken while sitting in a sunny conservatory overlooking the moors, we were packed up and out by about 10am. The early blue skies were just clouding over but it was a fine day and stayed dry. This was a relief to the landlady who had mentioned the possibility of snow at least three times last night, and probably also to the pair of chaps who has set off at 7am to stay ahead of the weather.

We followed Standedge above Castleshaw and then the Oldham Way and Pennine Bridleway around to Piethorne Reservoir, playing the rock or mud game. Sadly there are no benches in the shelter of the woodland and it was very windy at the bench so we sat on a wall of the ruins a bit farther down the hill. I realised I've misplaced my thin gloves, possibly they are in my rucksack somewhere, but I think I dropped them :(

We went home via the bridleway near the cattery and over Brushes Clough.

No comments:

Post a Comment